We may wish that fall was farther away than it is, but September 23rd is rapidly approaching. You may not see the leaves start to turn, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be prepared for autumn. Have you gotten your home ready, yet? Check out our tips for making sure that your home is as ready for sweater weather as you are.
- Clean, Repair or Replace your Furnace Filters: If you have an electrostatic filter, make sure to clean it thoroughly with soap and water. If your home uses disposable filters, be sure to change them at least once a month. Remembering to clean, repair or replace your filters could reduce fire hazard as well as help heat your home faster and more efficiently!
- Check the Seals on Your Pipes, Ducts, Doors and Windows: Checking the areas where the cooler air can sneak into your home is paramount when it comes to getting ready for fall. If any of these spaces need to be sealed, you still have the time you need before winter.
- Turn Your Fan On: This may seem counterproductive, but warm air rises. Because of this, the cold air can sit stagnant in the room, only being able to be filtered by the ceiling fan! Most ceiling fans have reversible motors which allows for the fan to disperse the heated air evenly and warm the room again.
- Open Your Vents: An HVAC system can function much more efficiently when all of the air vents are open in your home. Blocking or closing the vents can disrupt the airflow to your home.
- Make Sure Your Fireplace Has A Tight Fitting Damper: Fireplaces can let out heat or bring cold air in if their dampers are not closed when the fireplace is not in use.
- Arrange for a Check-Up: Just like children, your HVAC system needs a back-to-school checkup! With a professional coming in to check on your unit, you are able to go into the fall months without any fear or hiccups along the way! Our seasoned professionals at Cunningham Associates Heating and Air Conditioning Inc. will make sure that you’re ready for the months ahead leading into our Atlanta winters. Schedule your maintenance check-up today!